My work at the federal, regional and state level in both the executive and legislative branches plus my seven years in the Idaho Legislature and two years as an Ada County Commissioner reinforced in me the value of working with people of different points of view to help Idaho families.
I am confident these skills have enabled me to work with the other commissioners to provide solutions to the issues facing Ada County and a variety of interests in our area.
Tom Dayley is a fifth-generation Idahoan. Growing up as the ninth of 12 children helped Tom formulate his basic values of the importance of hard work, reverence for the sanctity of life, and the need for personal responsibility. Tom is proud of his family, including his wife of more than 50 years, the former Catherine Kennington of Ontario, Oregon, his son, daughter, son-in-law and four grandchildren.
After receiving his BA in Political Science/Spanish at Brigham Young University, Tom continued his education with an MA in International Relations at the University of Southern California in Oxford, England. Tom served his country four years in the United States Air Force, where he received the Air Force Commendation Medal for meritorious serviceas the Noncommissioned Officer in Charge of the Target Materials Vault, Intelligence Division, 20th Tactical Fighter Wing.
Tom learned the importance of listening to the people as part of his several years as a Reagan Administration appointee. He served in the Office of Congressional Relations at the US Department of Agriculture; as deputy director of a President Reagan Private Sector Initiative at the Department of Health and Human Services; and in the Office of Post Secondary Education at the US Department of Education.
He has worked extensively on Idaho issues in several capacities, such as the Idaho State Executive Director of the Agricultural Stabilization and Conservation Service (now the Farm Service Agency), the Executive Director of the Idaho Farm Bureau Federation, and Plant Industries Division Administrator of the Idaho State Department of Agriculture. He also worked as Idaho Subbasin Planning Coordinator for the Northwest Power and Conservation Council.
Tom has also accomplished legislative, constituent and other duties for various members of the Idaho Congressional Delegation including Senators Symms, Kempthorne, Craig and McClure.
An important part of Tom’s life has been active participation in community service. He has been involved with Boy Scouts of America, United Way, American Legion, and Rotary International. His bilingual skills have enabled him to offer translation services for a low income dental clinic, and to fill several roles with Meridian House International/ Foreign Visitor Program Service.
BA – Political Science/Spanish – Brigham Young University
MA – International Relations – University of Southern California (Oxford, England)
- Ada County Commissioner
- Vice Chair of Idaho Association of Counties Legislative Committee as well as serving on various boards at the county, regional and state levels
- President Trump appointed Idaho State Executive Director USDA, Farm Service Agency, Administered specific USDA program implementation in State of Idaho
- Idaho State House of Representatives, Chaired Judiciary and Rules, Vice-Chair Agriculture, Member Revenue and Taxation Committees
- Division administrator, Idaho State Department of Agriculture (ISDA), Managed feed/plant services, pest control, nursery, florist, apiary, pest survey, noxious weeds, organics programs and four labs
- Idaho Fish and Wildlife/Subbasin Planning Coordinator, Northwest Power and Conservation Council (NWPCC) Brought together tribal representatives, various Idaho groups that included private independent interests, state agencies, and local government. Helped create 62 regional and 20 Idaho environmentally and scientifically sound individual basin-based action plans. Plans were used to assist the NWPCC in funding fish and wildlife programs and policy development with the northwest
- Executive Vice-President, Idaho Farm Bureau Federation
- Senior aide to Senator Larry Craig in Washington, D.C. and Regional Director in Idaho. Washington D.C. aide to Senator Dirk Kempthorne and Senator Steve Symms.
- President Bush appointment as Idaho State Executive Director Agricultural Stabilization and Conservation Service; currently Farm Service Agency. Administered specific USDA program implementation in State of Idaho
- USDA Confidential Assistant to the Government and Public Affairs Assistant Secretary in Washington, D.C., Office of Congressional Relations. Consulted individual Members of Congress, state legislators, and local officials to carry-out departmental legislative strategy
- Office of Post-Secondary Education, Department of Education, Washington, D.C. National higher education policy work
- Deputy Director, White House Private Sector Initiative, Office of the Secretary Department of Health and Human Services, Facilitated private sector corporations use of technology to assist individuals with disabilities
- Washington, D.C., Special assistant to Congressman George Hansen
- United States Air Force, Air Force Commendation Medal
Served in Idaho, Washington, D.C. and foreign countries including UK, Mexico in civic, political, and church organizations including Boy Scout leader, civic association president local political party official, United Way Board, Rotary International. Accompanied International visitors around the Washington, D.C. area as volunteer with the Visitor Program Service of Meridian House International. Spanish language bank for first responders